12-8771 VP MarketingPosting Job Title: 12-8771 VP Marketing
Requisition Number: 12-8771
State: New York
City: New York
Shift: Not Applicable
Job Description: Basic Function:
The Vice President of Marketing will oversee and/or coordinate those responsible for operational elements of the marketing strategy, including product marketing, channel marketing, market segmentation, marketing communications, pricing strategy, competitive intelligence, marketing research and marketing analysis. This role plans, scopes, and executes marketing strategies, ensuring all plans and tactics are successfully coordinated for the successful attainment of targeted business unit results for the domestic and international market. Key responsibilities of this position include leading MR''s marketing communications, web presence, e-store, social media, brand management, and audience development functions ensuring the overarching marketing strategy is consistent and aligned in terms of brand, pricing, messaging, and go-to-market strategies both in the US and internationally Working within approved strategies, develops marketing plans and leads in the implementation of programs for marketing and sale of company products/services.
1. Key contributor and participant with CEO and other senior executive leaders in establishing strategic business, market, and product plans. Evaluates current marketing strategies in partnership with the business unit to establish the overall branding strategy that best articulates the value proposition of MR''s product lines. With Global Sales, articulates an overall division pricing strategy to drive individual product pricing strategies, ensuring consistency across similar product lines. Directs strategic and operational expansion into new marketing/sales channels; establishing and leveraging core business intelligence metrics for assessing success of the business unit''s marketing strategy; and generating long-term business/strategic plans to guide the division''s marketing activities both domestic and international.
2. Coordinates the execution of the business unit''s marketing activities for MR to meet or exceed revenue targets for division sales by overseeing all marketing operations (i.e. primary and secondary market research, marketing communications, marketing campaigns, product pricing testing, and marketing analysis); staying abreast of preferred buying patterns for customers; setting strategy for the optimal promotional mix and messaging among channels (e.g., tangible mail, e-mail, web-advertising, digital, conference exhibition, space advertising); forecasting direct response sales by channel (e.g., online orders, phone-based orders, mailed in orders); tracking direct response sales against forecast; and adjusting programs as necessary to meet revenue targets within the approved spending limits.
3. Member of the MR Executive Management team that contributes to its effectiveness by serving as a strong influence across the group, providing guidance, support, and counsel for marketing-related and other efforts; internal and external communications; influencing other executive leaders of MR''s business in terms of marketing strategy; actively participating in all standard and ad hoc executive management meetings; preparing and developing solid "points of view" to share with colleagues in Sales, Product Management, Finance, Operations, Development, and Editorial. Reviews and processes other points of view; engaging in positive dialog and dissent with the sole purpose of coming to collective decisions that benefit the overall organization; committing completely and openly to final decisions made by the team and ensuring the Marketing team acts in accordance; and collaborating effectively with other Marketing personnel and Wolters Kluwer at large.
4. Establish and set standards for analysis, and continually review results to drive various marketing and business decisions by identifying the best data to measure to evaluate success and opportunities. Establish and enforce key performance indicators to create strategic value of marketing for the MR; ensuring relevant aspects of customer''s buying activity and response to marketing efforts is properly tracked in all systems of records. Working with IT and Operations, modify systems to capture information that is not being collected today; modeling and forecasting (e.g., response rates by marketing method and message, seasonality, specialty differences, renewal patterns and rates, price point testing, ROI of marketing spending); overseeing analytic activities for accuracy; and establishing standard and ad hoc reporting for business decision making.
5. Develops and maintains comprehensive knowledge of all MR products. Is intimately aware of industry trends and general business and medical research acumen through various sources and initiatives. Oversees the communication of MR''s competitive advantage to customers in a compelling articulate manner in speech, writing and formal presentation; behaving in ways that demonstrate corporate core values and culture; developing professional and positive relationships with customers and colleagues; and maintaining a reputation of competence, integrity and professionalism.
6. Manages Marketing team performance by monitoring key work performance indicators, team member activity and work product. Also reviews documents and discusses performance or behavior issues directly with underperformers early and often by working with HR to establish Performance Improvements Plans (PIPs) and proactive hiring plans; filling open positions (e.g., providing information on candidate requirements, be available for interviews; making decisions quickly); and facilitating the on-boarding of the new team members to shorten learning curves. Develops an optimal organization structure to enable cohesive marketing plans and motivating the team to embrace, optimize and evolve best in class marketing techniques. Uses proven leadership techniques to engage employees and drive performance.
7. Oversees marketing budget development and administration by collaborating with Marketing Directors, BU Product Managers and Finance to determine all marketing activities and resources needed to deliver revenue targets (e.g., frequency and size of advertising, creative design through vendors, mailing and distribution costs, tradeshow/conference exhibit, team travel for marketing and/or development purposes, employee tools, laptops, mobile phones); estimating financial resources required to support the activities; capturing and iterating budgets in standard templates; ensuring alignment of budget allocation with strategy; authorizing, tracking and reconciling spending against budget throughout the year; and justifying and securing unplanned resources as necessary to maintain business operations.
1. Develops strategic alliances with vendors and partners.
2. Ensures the marketing themes and strategies are consistent in branding and conform to WK standards
3. Prepares and delivers high level presentations to both internal and external audiences.
4. Manages time and company resources and budgets appropriately.
5. Proactively pursues professional development activities.
6. Performs other duties as requested by the CEO.
Minimum: Bachelor''s Degree in Marketing or equivalent work experience.
Preferred: MBA or Master''s Degree in Marketing or related field.
Experience, Knowledge and Tools
Minimum Experience: 8 -10 years of executive leadership overseeing organizational marketing strategy development, marketing communications, pricing strategy development, market research, and business intelligence including:
. Proven leader in influencing other departments and teams (e.g. sales, product management, Legal, operations, development, publishing, etc.) to support the development and/or execution of the marketing initiatives.
. Directly managing a range of marketing activities (such as advertising, creative, social media, internet, digital and e-marketing, direct marketing, telemarketing) to drive the overarching strategy and ensure alignment of marketing communications resources to support the tactical plans
. Experience managing and evaluating marketing and database analytics.
. Experience working closely and as part of a senior management team.
. International marketing experience
. Company-level strategy development
. Budget development and monitoring
. Pricing strategy and method development and implementation
. Sales/revenue and gross profit forecasting
. Marketing communications development and scheduling (recency, frequency, exposure)
. Internal communications oversight
. Collateral design
. Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite, Apple Suite, CRM and SFA
Preferred Experience (includes minimum):
. 10-15 years of executive leadership overseeing organizational marketing strategy development, marketing communications, pricing strategy development, marketing research, and business intelligence within a business to business enterprise.
. Experience with broad marketing strategies, such as web, digital, cloud, and mobile, as well as direct marketing.
. Experience driving demand across a variety of services (e.g. in an agency environment or a large company with multiple products and strategies), as opposed to a single product or product line.
. Experience driving demand generation within small and mid market firms.
. Working within a global organization with distinct divisions and shared services requiring both independent and collaborative work.
. Working within the medical research/information aggregator, data mining industry
. Working within the information services or publishing industry.
. Experience with database marketing analytic techniques and modeling